Windows 11 wallpaper image can be anything you want. You can even set up desktop slideshows to flick through multiple images. Yet, Windows doesn’t have a built-in feature to add overlapping smaller images on the desktop wallpaper.
Many users would probably use such a feature to add smaller family photos to Windows desktop on wallpapers. The lack of such a feature has prompted some software developers to release applications that display overlapping images on the desktop. You can add overlapping image on Windows desktop with Overlap Wallpaper, Desktop Photo and 8GadgetPack.
How to add image overlay with wallpaper overlay
Overlap Wallpaper is a portable and freely available application for adding overlapping images to the desktop. This software allows users to add opaque and transparent images on the desktop. Here is how you can add overlapping photo with Overlap Wallpaper:
- Open the Overlap Wallpaper website download page.
- Click it Overlap wallpaper download link.
- press the To download in the upper right corner of the tab that opens.
- Open explorer and the folder where your browser is configured to download files.
- Right-click the Overlap Wallpaper ZIP file and select it Extract All option for archives.
- Select the Extract Compressed window Show excerpt option.
- Click on Browse if you want to choose an extraction location. Then choose a directory in the Select a destination window, then click on the Select Folder option.
- Press Utility Extract button to bring up an extracted layered wallpaper folder.
Now it’s time to get Overlap Wallpaper working:
- Double-click Overlap Wallpaper.exe to run the program.
- Next, double-click the Overlap Wallpaper system tray icon and click Settings to open the setting window.
- press the Input way button there.
- Click on Browse in the Input Mode Settings window. Next, choose an image you want to add to the desktop and press the key Open button to select it.
- Then you will see a new image overlaid on the desktop which you can resize and reposition. To resize this image, enter new values in the size boxes of the Input Mode Settings window.
- Click it Apply > OKAY options to save the resized image.
It is easier to reposition the photo via the yellow adjustment window. Right-click on the system tray icon of Overlap Wallpaper and select Settings. Then hold the Other and left-click on the overlapping image to drag it to a new position on the desktop.
The older version Overlap Wallpaper 2.6.0 also includes a transparency option, which the developer removed in the latest package. So you will have to download and extract the ZIP of this version if you want to apply transparency effects.
You can apply transparency to an overlapping image by reducing the value of Photo Transparency setting in the Settings window in Overlap Wallpaper 2.6.0.
How to add an image overlay with a desktop photo
Desktop Photo is a lightweight application that you can install and use on most Windows platforms. Unlike Overlap Wallpaper, this software adds overlapping framed images on the desktop. It also allows you to add captions to displayed photos.
You can add overlapping image on Windows 11 desktop with this software as follows:
- View the Desktop Photo 1.00 download page.
- Select the Download now link on the Desktop Photo page.
- Click on the yellow folder icon in the taskbar which opens the explorer.
- Open the Downloads folder or any other directory containing the Desktop Photo Setup Wizard.
- Double-click setup_desktopphoto.exe to open the Desktop Photo setup wizard.
- Click on Next to reach the install location step.
- Select Browse to choose a folder for the software if you prefer, then click OKAY.
- Click on Next > Install to add the software.
Now that Desktop Photo is installed, it’s time to put it to work:
- Double-click on the Desktop Photo shortcut that you will see on the desktop after installation.
- Then, click in the default image area to display all Desktop Photo options.
- Select the Open picture option.
- Then select a photo overlay display and click the Pictures window icon. Open button.
- Left-click the overlapping image and hold the mouse button down to drag and position it on the desktop.
- After positioning the image, move its cursor. Software options will disappear from the overlapping image when not selected.
You can stop there after adding the overlay image. However, most users will probably prefer to configure their images a bit more by at least resizing them. To do this, select the photo and click the left and right arrows to Ladder option. Note that the software has maximum and minimum sizes that limit the degree to which images can be resized.
You can also customize the overlay image with frames. To choose a different border for the image, click the left/right buttons Frame option. However, the frames are a bit basic and there are only six to choose from.
To add an image caption, click the Text button. Then type some text at the top of the photo. The maximum caption length is two lines across the width of the image.
Desktop Photo is automatically added to Windows startup. However, it does not include a startup parameter. If you prefer that the software does not start automatically, you will have to deactivate it via the task manager. start tongue.
Neither Desktop Photo nor Overlap Wallpaper allow users to add overlapping image slideshows on the desktop. However, you can add various widgets to desktop with 8GadgetPack software. Among them is a widget that adds a small slideshow of images overlaid on the desktop.
Here’s how to add an overlapping image slideshow to your desktop with 8GadgetPack Desktop:
- Open 8GadgetPack homepage and click To download the.
- Launch File Explorer, open your browser’s download folder, and double-click 8GadgetPackSetup.msi.
- Then select the Install option in the 8GadgetPack configuration window.
- Select the Show gadgets at the end of the configuration box to automatically start the software.
- Click on Finish to exit 8GadgetPack setup.
You are now ready to add a gadget:
- Select Add Widget in the 8GadgetPack window.
- Then double-click the Slideshow gadget on the third page of the widget window.
- press the Choice button to the right of the widget.
- Click the ellipsis button next to the Case scrolling menu.
- Choose a folder containing the images you want the widget to display, then click the icon for the directory selection window. OKAY button.
- You can select optional parameters in the Show every picture and Transition between each frame drop-down menus. The first menu includes options to adjust how long each image is displayed by the widget, and the second has transition effect settings.
- Click on OKAY to save the slideshow settings.
Now you can sit back and enjoy the overlay slideshow of your favorite photos on the desktop. The smallest setting for this widget is a bit small. However, you can expand it by clicking on the gadget Bigger Cut button.
You can also configure this widget to display a single image if you prefer. Simply create a new folder containing a photo and select this directory for the slideshow. Then the widget can only display one image from the folder.
Add your favorite photo to your Windows 11 wallpaper
Too bad there isn’t a lot of software available that adds overlapping images to the Windows 11 wallpaper. Still, you can still add your favorite family or other personal snapshots to the Windows 11 desktop without change its wallpaper with the software in this guide. These are relatively simple programs with which you can include a special image on your desktop.