Windows 11 includes a wallpaper slideshow feature that changes the background at specified intervals. This feature allows the desktop to have multiple wallpapers. However, Windows 11 does not include an option that lets you set the desktop wallpaper to switch to a different one at a specific time.
However, you can still set the Windows 11 wallpaper to change based on the time of day with the addition of WinDynamicDesktop and Wallpaper Changer Scheduler. This is how you can schedule Windows 11 wallpaper change with these two software packages.
How to Add Dynamic Wallpaper to Windows 11 with WinDynamicDesktop
macOS Mojave incorporates a dynamic wallpaper feature that allows users to select wallpapers that change based on their PC’s system time. For example, a Mojave live wallpaper will change from a daytime image to a nighttime image as evening sets in. The lighting conditions of a live wallpaper gradually change to reflect the time of day.
You can add dynamic wallpaper functionality similar to Windows 11 with the freeware WinDynamicDesktop. This software allows you to configure dynamic wallpaper selections to change at specified sunrise and sunset times. It includes 14 dynamic backgrounds for users to choose from, including the Mojave Desert one. You can add Mojave-style live wallpaper to Windows 11 as follows.
- Open the WinDynamicDestkop Softpedia webpage
- Click it Download now option.
- To select Secure download from Softpedia (US) to download the software.
- Click File Explorer on the taskbar and open the folder where WinDynamicDesktop was downloaded.
- Double-click WinDynamicDesktop_4.7.0_Setup.exe to launch the setup wizard.
- Choose your language in the Select Installation Language window, then click the Okay option.
- Click on I accept the agreement possibility to select it.
- press the following button.
- To select Browse to choose an installation directory for WinDynamicDesktop.
- Click on following several times, then select the To install option.
- Select the Launch WinDynamicDesktop and To finish options after installing the software.
- To choose English, or another appropriate language, in the Select Language window; and click on the Okay button.
- Enter your full location in the Configure Schedule window that opens automatically. Alternatively, you can select the Use specific schedules radio button to enter specific sunset and sunrise times for the wallpaper to change accordingly.
- press the Okay button and click Yes to confirm the location.
- Choose a wallpaper from the Select a theme window that opens, then click the To download button.
- Then select To apply to add it.
There you go, now you can wait to see how the new Windows 11 dynamic wallpaper changes with the time of day. If it’s daytime, return to your PC a few hours after 6 p.m. to see the dark variant of the wallpaper. Make sure WinDynamicDesktop is set to start with Windows 11 by right-clicking its system tray icon and selecting Start at startup.
You can change the live wallpaper or its sunset/sunrise times at any time. To do this, select the Configure calendar Where Select a theme WinDynamicDesktop context menu options. Then adjust the settings of these windows as needed.
If you ever want to restore a default Windows 11 theme, you don’t need to remove the software. Open the Select Theme window. Select the Any option here, and click the To apply button.
You can also get more dynamic wallpapers. To do this, click on the Get more themes online link in the Select a theme window of WinDynamicDesktop. Then click on the Browse 114 free themes on the web page that opens. Choose a dynamic wallpaper and click on the To download button for that.
You can add this wallpaper to WinDynamicDesktop by clicking Import from file in the Select Theme window. Select the wallpaper file from the folder you downloaded it to and press the button. Open button. Then you can select the new dynamic wallpaper in WinDyanmicDesktop.
Note that some live wallpapers download as ZIP archives. To add them, you must first extract their ZIP files in File Explorer. Select a live wallpaper from its extracted folder to add it.
How to schedule desktop wallpaper change with wallpaper change scheduler
Do you just want your desktop wallpaper to switch to another selection at a specific time? If so, check out Wallpaper Change Scheduler for Windows 11. This freeware lets you set a time for the wallpaper to change to another. It doesn’t include any dynamic wallpaper, but you can use it to schedule automatic desktop background changes in Windows 11. This is how you can schedule the wallpaper change with this software.
- Open the Wallpaper Changer Scheduler web page.
- Click it To download link on the Wallpaper Change Scheduler page.
- Open the File Explorer window.
- Then open the folder containing the Wallpaper Change Scheduler.exe you just downloaded.
- Double-click WallpaperChangeScheduler.exe to open the software (no installation required). You can right click on WallpaperChangeScheduler.exe and select Pin to start to add it to this menu.
- Click it Add an event button.
- To set the wallpaper to change daily, select the Daily possibility on the Trigger scrolling menu.
- Then select a time with AT option.
- press the Browse to bring up a Choose New Image window. There, select the wallpaper you want the background to change to, and click the Open button.
- Select an option on the Wallpaper style scrolling menu.
- Enter a title in the Name this event box.
- press the To create button to save.
The Wallpaper Change Scheduler window will now include the scheduled event. The wallpaper will change to the background you selected at the time entered for the scheduled event. You can schedule the wallpaper to change repeatedly in the same way.
Click the X in the window (Close) to leave. The software will still run in the background after closing the window. You can click the Wallpaper Changer system tray icon at any time to display the window to check and change scheduled events if necessary. To completely close Wallpaper Change Scheduler, you will need to click on Choice in its window and select Completely close the program.
Customize Windows 11 Desktop Background in New Ways
WinDynamicDesktop and Wallpaper Change Scheduler let you configure the desktop background to change over time. With WinDynamicDesktop, you can add a dynamic wallpaper theme that gradually changes based on your location’s sunset and sunrise times. Wallpaper Change Scheduler allows you to configure the desktop to display alternate wallpapers at preset times. You can customize the desktop with both software packages in ways you can’t with Windows 11’s default background settings.
The Auto Dark Mode app is a fantastic way to automatically schedule light and dark modes in Windows 11 with minimal effort.
About the Author