Since the release of iOS and iPadOS 14, Apple allows you to customize your iPhone and iPad home screen according to your preferences. Although iOS’s comprehensive customization options don’t come close to Android, you can now make a few different tweaks to make your home screen stand out, like adding widgets.
Widgetsmith is one of the most popular iOS apps that let you create custom iPhone widgets. This article will show you how to use Widgetsmith to create your own widgets on iPhone or iPad.
One thing that sets Widgetsmith apart is its ease of use. The app keeps it simple by providing you with ready-to-use customizable templates. No wonder it is one of the best apps for creating custom iPhone widgets.
This allows virtually anyone, even those who aren’t tech-savvy, to tinker with full-featured customization apps like Scriptable.
You can create a variety of widgets using Widgetsmith. Available categories include Photos, Time, Date, Step Count, Health & Activity, Battery, Calendar, Reminders, Astronomy, Weather, Air Quality, and tide widgets. Unfortunately, Widgetsmith’s most amazing custom widgets for your iPhone, like weather, air quality, pollen, and tides, are locked behind a $1.99/month (or $19.99/ year). The subscription also unlocks additional widget themes and removes in-app advertisements.
To use Widgetsmith, you may need to grant several permissions to the app, including access to your location, calendar, reminders, health, and photos. Open the app, tap Settings > App Privacy Permissionsand touch To allow on the individual authorizations to be granted to them.
These permissions are essential to ensure the normal functioning of the application. Remember that you don’t have to grant any special permissions to Widgetsmith if you don’t plan to use a feature that relies on this data. For example, if you don’t use the calendar widget, you don’t need to allow Widgetsmith to access your calendar.
To download: Widgetsmith (Free, subscription available)
Creating custom widgets using Widgetsmith is a snap thanks to the app’s easy-to-use user interface. Here’s how to create a custom widget using Widgetsmith:
- Download Widgetsmith for free from the App Store and open it.
- Faucet Small #1, Medium #1Where Large #1 to select the size of the widget you want to create. The small widgets are square and occupy the space of four applications. The medium widget appears as a rectangle, while the large one is also a square.
- Faucet [Image size] #1 to rename your widget appropriately. This will help you easily differentiate your custom widgets. We will name our widget Date since we will be using the date widget as an example in this tutorial. The steps are similar for other widget sizes, so feel free to name your widget accordingly.
- Then press Default widget. Widgetsmith will take you to the widget selection page. On this page you can choose the type of widget to create and select one of the available styles.
- Tap to choose a widget and style of your choice. At the top of the page is the Photos widget section; scroll down for more categories.
- Faucet Aesthetics / Theme at the bottom to customize your widget.
- Select a predefined aesthetic and press the Customize the theme button to further customize your widget. You can change the widget font, tint color, background color, border color, and artwork.
- Faucet to safeguardto finish.
- Widgetsmith will ask you if you want Apply changes to theme or widget? Select your option of choice.
- Faucet to safeguard and select Return. Finally, touch to safeguard in the rename widget page to finish.
This is how you create a custom widget with Widgetsmith. The process is similar throughout the app for medium and large widgets.
Do not modify your custom widget if you want to create a new widget of similar size. If you do, you will directly modify your existing widget. Instead, go to Widgetsmith and press To add [Widget Size] Widgets to create a new one from scratch. With that out of the way, let’s see how you can use your custom iPhone widgets.
Once your custom widget is ready, the next step is to add it to your home screen. Thanks to widget support in iOS, the process is a breeze. Follow these steps to add widgets to your iOS or iPadOS home screen:
- Go to your iPhone home screen and long press on your wallpaper to start Jiggle mode. You can also long press any app icon and select Change home screen.
- Press the more (+) top button.
- Scroll down to the apps list and select widgetsmith. You can also use the widget’s search bar to find it.
- Select the size of your custom widget. If you only have one widget under the selected size, Widgetsmith will automatically add the widget once you select the size. Otherwise, continue with the steps below.
- After selecting the size, long press on the blank widget grid and drag it to your home screen. Widgetsmith will add a blank widget grid to your home screen in Jiggle mode and fill it with any custom widgets. However, you can choose what should be displayed next.
- Still in Jiggle mode, tap on the custom Widgetsmith widget.
- Tap the widget name next to Widgets on the pop-up window. Widgetsmith will now show all of your custom widgets that can fit in the grid.
- Select your favorite custom widget from the list and return to your home screen. You will find your selected custom widget now occupying the widget grid. Use Jiggle mode to move your custom widgets wherever you want on your home screen.
Repeat these steps to add more widgets to your Home screen to further personalize your iPhone. If customization is your thing, you can also use some of Apple’s built-in widgets to personalize your iPhone’s home screen. The only caveat is that you can’t create custom widgets in iOS without relying on third-party apps.
Timed Widgets is another cool feature of Widgetsmith. A timed widget is an ephemeral widget that will display on your iPhone home screen only for a specific period of time. It can take an hour, two hours, three hours, etc. Outside these hours, your iPhone or iPad home screen will display the default widget instead.
To create a Timed Widget, follow these steps:
- Launch widgetsmith.
- Select one of your custom widgets.
- Faucet Add a timed widget on the next page.
- Select the time you want your timed widget to display by holding and moving the time picker.
- Tap the empty widget grid.
- Next, select a widget from the predefined options and then customize it by tapping Aesthetics / Theme.
- Go back when finished and press to safeguard.
Personalize your iPhone home screen
If you want to create custom widgets as quickly as possible, one of the best apps for the job is Widgetsmith. Of course, you can create a variety of widgets yourself without any technical know-how. But if you’re a technical person who likes having more control, Scriptable should be one of your best choices for creating custom widgets. It lets you run scripts, which means you can create more fun widgets.